Random Restless

9/4/08

In Search of Superfinger


The Finger Building was born in Williamsburg, but they exist wherever developers seek to lord over the existing skyline and poke the eye of God with luxury condos.

Manhattan has a few new ones you can't help but notice, even though it's already chock full'o fingers.  (And even though its fingers must feel totally emasculated by the vertical pipe being laid in Dubai, like the Burjfinger.  [via C-Monster])

I've been looking at One Madison Park, above right, for months and -- forgetting for a moment that it's destined to house a few hundred people so rancidly rich (min. $7.5 mil. move-in) that they expect to have a self-cleaning chrome toilet in the park across the street -- I like what I see.  If you're going to build 60 stories, skinny is a good way to go.  (I take that back if it winds up looking as crappy as the rendering, right.)

But I have to give my Superfinger Award to the relatively puny 42 floor Ismael Leyva design at 785 8th Ave., top left, left, and below, for being the scariest finger in town, like a malevolent alien spaceship, a gargantuan Gillette razor, or the creepy condo tower in the Sharon Stone bomb Sliver.  And especially for looking like a dark, futuristic illustration, even in real life -- I haven't doctored the photos here at all.