Random Restless

2/11/10

Surviving Siberia in Starbucks


One brutally cold day a few weeks ago, I stopped at the sidewalk grate above, on the side of the Municipal Building downtown, and felt heat rising -- from the portal to Hell below Bloomberg's office at City Hall, or maybe the Brooklyn Bridge subway station.

I thought it would be a good idea to make a Google Map of every heat vent in the city, in case I find myself living on the street.  I submitted the idea to Central Processing and fell back on my default strategy for cold -- walking faster.

Then I saw a guy in the Astor Place Starbucks a few days ago, methodically eating his way through a packaged, pink 12" x 12" frosted cake, dense as cheesecake, that he'd cut into a grid but not separated.  I would guess there were 10,000 calories of sugar and fat in that pinkness.  He was eating it with rapid, efficient strokes, shoveling coal into the furnace.

I stared for a whole minute, wondering if he would come up for air.  He didn't bother with air or coffee, and I didn't notice a coat.  By the time he finished the cake, he would have enough stored potential heat -- like a bear burpingly full of seal fat -- to make it to another deli in his t-shirt and buy another cake, then find another Starbucks to sit down in, and shovel that cake into the furnace.

And so on and so on...

With hundreds of Starbucks in NYC, and enough valiant delis holding-on in the chainstore wasteland in between, I see no reason why -- like a charmed hummingbird flying across Siberia -- he won't last until spring.

Sounds like he's got a much better plan than mine!